It had to happen. No more heavy weight of paper, mildew or soggy pages. A megayacht captain and a computer programmer who loves sailing have combined their expertise to create an Application (app) that anyone from the weekend sailor to the professional master mariner will find a vitally useful help to their days on the water – and it only costs $4.99!
Megayacht Capt. Aaron David Pufal and programmer/boating enthusiast Steve Constable have created the Captain’s Toolbox, for for use at sea as well as for reference and exam preparation.
The app has data for all levels of boating expertise.
Maritime tools included are:
- The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS) (easier to use than the clumsy paper version and always at your fingertips)
- Maritime Navigation Lights & Shapes
- GPS Position*
- Navigation Chart Symbols – using an easy spinwheel method
- Maritime Flags – never be caught again not knowing where a boat is from
- SOLAS Symbols
- Marine VHF and SSB Radio
- Unit Converter
- Glossary of Maritime and Yachting Terms – 1383 of them
- Clouds – an inventory and how to predict local weather by reading them
- Morse Code – just in case you ever need it
- Wind barbs – quick reference to common wind charting systems and lots else.
- Sound Signals
- United Nations Law of the Oceans and Sea
* A cellular connection is needed for GPS use with all iPhones
The system is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, the app requires iOS 4.1 or later. If you purchase it now, the makers promise you’ll receive free updates when more tools are added in the future. The app can replace a heavy load of paper on your boat – books, manuals, study guides and other resources. Once installed, you do not need a cellular, WiFi or internet connection to access the data.
To find out more, or to purchase, click here.