With the ever spiraling cost of fuel for your boat, here are a few tips on how you can save. I know, the news has been reporting that prices should be going down but as was noted by Jay Leno before he recently retired , “The price of oil is now under $100 a barrel. The oil companies say they should be passing on the savings to us in six or seven years.”
Tips For Reducing Fuel Usage:
- Slower speeds on the water will reduce use.
- The proper use of trim tabs reduces drag, especially while accelerating up to planning speeds.
- Minimize the amount of time that you idle at the dock.
- Minimize the use of onboard generators.
- Use dock-side electrical power in lieu of generators.
- Have a float plan so you know exactly where you’re going.
- Make sure the hull is clean.
- Don’t under-power your boat. It’s important you have enough motor to handle the load.
- Check your propeller. If your boat is slow “out of the hole” (getting up on plane) or lacks top-end speed, you might have the wrong propeller.
- A well-tuned engine uses less fuel.
- Use the grade of gasoline specified by the engine manufacturer.